Plugins for watching DVD, SVCD, VCD, Divx, Xvid with totem-xine?

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Tue Sep 21 23:47:13 UTC 2004

R S Gill wrote:

> Go to www.apt-get.or/search.php
>
> Search for win32-codecs.
>
> Add the sources to you /etc/apt/sources.list file and then do sudo
> aptitude update, followed by sudo aptitude install win32-codecs.
>
> You'll then be able to play all kinds of media files!!
>
> Gill

Should that be www.apt-get.org?

I've gone off apt-get.org because I don't see that it's properly controlled.

Let's say that you get a deb line:
deb http://w32-codecs.org ....

Some time in the future the owner decides to plop Gnome, growisofs
and/other stuff in there.

Potentially, w32-codecs.org has become your primary repository for all
sorts of unofficial stuff you don't know about or want.

There may be ways to controll what you get from there, but London to a
Brick hardly anyone here knows how:-)