Thoughts on mouse buttons

Tue Sep 21 13:53:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 12:22 +0200, Andreas Simon wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 03:09 -0500, J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:
> >  > Is there any *known to work* equivalent for linux?
> >
> > I know of no such equivalent.
>
> What about imwheel? I have configured it in such a way that the two
> thumb buttons of my Intellimouse emit Alt_L|Right and Alt_L|Left for
> Mozilla browsers which is also the standard for Microsoft, i.e. the
> thumb buttons act as backward or forward in the browser history. For
> kmail they emit plus and minus to switch the the next or previous unread
> mail.
>
> For this to work I have
>         Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
>         Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "false"
>         Option          "Buttons"               "7"
>         Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "6 7"
>
> in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and execute
> 	/usr/bin/X11/xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"
> in a custom script under /etc/X11/Xsession.d/

Yes, that's exactly the kind of crap I had to go through before with
Fedora... Surprisingly it was very easy now with Ubuntu, as I "just" had
to change the protocol to ExplorerPS/2 and add the buttons option.
I have filed this as bug #1556 now as per request, although I still
doubt that there is an easy way to automatically support all mouses yet
(because no other distribution seems to do it either). I wonder how
compatible the ExplorerPS/2 protocol is to older mouses and if this
could be an alternative for the default? I'd appreciate if people who
know more than me would add information to the bug.