Install Report (Language) + Questions

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Tue Sep 21 12:20:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 06:50:00PM +0700, Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim wrote:
> When "Choose language" and selecting "Bahasa Indonesia"
>    it will skip "Choose country or region"
>    and go directly to "Select a keyboard layout"
>          WITH ERROR message

Hm, yes, I can reproduce that on i386, although not on amd64. Could you
please file a bug at http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/ (component kbd-chooser,
assign to cjwatson at canonical.com)?

> I have already visited http://www.ubuntulinux.org/
> But I still have questions:
> - Is UBUNTU a "fork" or a "custom" distribution?
>   I guess it is a fork?!

Ubuntu is a branch of Debian sid; it's not a fork as such, because we're
merging our patches back to Debian much more than a fork would. (We'll
be re-branching from sid and merging all our changes when the
development repository for our next release opens up, so it's in our
interests to send back as many patches as we can.) At the same time, our
changes are more extensive than I'd expect from something calling itself
a custom distribution.

> - May I know how/where to find the howto-s and scripts
>   for building the UBUNTU distribution?

All the source packages are in the Ubuntu archive; they are plain Debian
source packages that you can build in the usual way.

> - do you recompile everything?

Yes, we do.

Cheers,

--