x configuration

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at fabbione.net
Tue Sep 21 06:11:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Fábio Mendes wrote:

> > I checked again the code and the pt_BR would set the keyboard layout br
> > but not the Model and Variant. Can you confirm that these values are
> > mandatory for brasilian keyboards? all of them?
>
> The d-i asks the user for the default keyboard map on the system (at
> least in expert mode) so probably we should use this information instead
> of LANG. The user may want a system in a language that is different from
> that of his keyboard and those things are not equivalent anyway (it
> could have more than one keyboard model for a given language).

The problem is that there is no direct relation between console keyboard
layout names and X keyboard layout names. So the only "common" thing that
we can use to map both of them is the LANG.

> There is, in fact more than one keyboards layout in brazil, but most, if
> not all models are now standatized in the abnt2 (the brazillian ISO)
> specification. You still find legacy keyboards but I guess most of them
> are the US layout (104 keys, but some very old 386 (or XT?) era
> keyboards have a different brazillian kbmap. Of course (it's not so
> rare) some vendors will sell non-standard or even portuguese layout
> keyboard as abnt2, but users should never buy those crap keyboards
> anyway. So i think it's pretty safe to go with abnt2 here. The XkbModel
> is mandadory, but the variant is not. Actually I can't tell the
> difference between both, but I think (my memory fails here) that it was
> needed to get the win-keys working or something like that so I just get
> used to defining it in all my installations.

Ok I added a specific code to handle the br layout and set the proper
Model and Varian.

Thanks for the info!
Fabio

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.