x configuration

Fábio Mendes niels_bohr at uol.com.br
Tue Sep 21 01:49:04 UTC 2004

> > Of course! here it goes (it's the standart configuration for most
> > brazillian keyboards:
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
> >         Driver          "keyboard"
> >         Option          "CoreKeyboard"
> >         Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
> >         Option          "XkbModel"      "abnt2"
> >         Option          "XkbLayout"     "br"
> >         Option          "XkbVariant"    "abnt2"
> > EndSection
>
> And what is your LANG??
>
> echo $LANG

The LANG variable is not set as I use english (C/POSIX) as the default
language for my desktop, but the keyboard layout is brazillian and IMHO
the X configuration should match the keyboard map for console not the
default language. The default locale for brazillian portuguese
(from /etc/locale.gen) is pt_BR ISO-8859-1.

It would be nice if the installer could automatically configure the
system to use with more than one language (like anaconda installer,
which prompt the user for additional languages she'd like to support on
the system). This is useful since sometimes the administrator prefers to
have a english desktop for that documentation is more complete in
english, translations tend to be confusing/weird/ugly and he probably
she knows a good deal of english anyway, but most non-technical users
expect the computer to be set in their mother languages. There should be
lots of other use cases too. Is it easy to add modules to d-i? Do you
think it's an option?

-Fabio
PS.: Fabio, I like your name ;)