root fs on LVM?

Andreas Simon yuipx at gmx.net
Mon Sep 20 22:29:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 12:52 -0700, Dan Young wrote:
> Is getting / on LVM targeted for HoaryHedgehog? Is this a D-I
> limitation?

I can't answer your question but here is my experience with the rootfs
on LVM situation with the Warty Warthog preview.

Although the installer warned me that rootfs on LVM is unsupported and
the system will be unbootable I continued the installation and the
result is that it works anyhow. During bootup I get some warnings about
missing device nodes but everything works fine, just mount doesn't print
the filesystem type of rootfs:

# mount|grep root
/dev/mapper/main_vg-root_lv on / type unknown (rw)

# grep root /etc/fstab
/dev/mapper/main_vg-root_lv /   reiserfs defaults 0 1

Besides /boot and swap I have everything on LVM volumes.

Another remark: It would be nice if the installer tells you that rootfs
on LVM is unsupported _before_ it formats the volumes. I think the best
place for this warning would be right when you place the mount points.

Cheers,
Andreas