No Sound on B&W G3

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at canonical.com
Mon Sep 20 08:41:08 UTC 2004

Hi Brett!

On 2004-09-19 16:47 -0400, Brett Kirksey wrote:
> I thought I saw someone mention this earlier about an iMac, but I can't
> seem to find the solution. I have no sound on my B&W G3. When I try to
> turn the volume up, the volume slider just jumps back down to 0 volume.
> Suggestions?

I assume that the sound driver is not loaded and /dev/dsp does not
exist; can you verify this, please?

Try 'sudo modprobe snd-powermac' and try if the sound is now working
(this does not immediately bring the panel mixer back to life,
though). If that works, a short-term solution is to append a line
"snd-powermac" to /etc/modules.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                       http://www.piware.de