Ubuntu Preview

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Mon Sep 20 07:44:05 UTC 2004

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

>>>lilo needs them in order to usefully interface with the packaging system.
>>>

>>Oh. I did check round my systems, only one has LILO and that doesn't
>>have symlinks.
>>

>If you don't use symlinks, then when you upgrade your kernel, lilo.conf
>needs to be modified to point to the new kernel.  The symlinks are a better
>technical solution.

We're not using lilo by default. For a user to get lilo in place they
have to do an expert install, or do it later. Probably, any such users
know what they're about, but even for lilo users if you want tosupport
them, update-grub can probably be adapted.

I keep tripping over the symlinks when they interfere with
tab-completion. Simply removing them has not caused me any problems and
there's nothing else I've needed to do, except configure lilo properly
on the one machine I still have it on.

And on Woody machines where I use grub, ensure that update-grub gets run.