Signed packages?

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Mon Sep 20 06:12:46 UTC 2004

First, Ubuntu looks like a fine system.  I'm also glad to read that the focus
will be on catering to making things usable by novices.  It's quite a
challenge, but it looks like Ubuntu is taking big steps in the right direction.

I was curious about signed packages.  Are crytographically signed DEBs possible?

If so, does Ubuntu use signed packages?  If not, is this something that is seen
as a good idea for the future or unnecessary?

Any rationale to help explain how they're unnecessary would be appreciated if
time allows.

Thanks.