Help: Music Player Says '/dev/dsp' Does Not Exist

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Mon Sep 20 02:41:58 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 04:40:35PM -0400, Brett Kirksey wrote:
> I'm on a B&W G3. When I try to play anything with the Rhythmbox Music
> Player app, I get a message that 'Device "/dev/dsp" does not exist'.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?

The snd-powermac module probably isn't loaded, which is part of the
other hardware detection problems on your machine (over in that thread
--> there). Try adding snd-powermac to /etc/modules, and 'modprobe
snd-powermac' if you want to see the effects immediately.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]