IRQ conflict with parport and other devices (Re: Wireless issues...)

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Mon Sep 20 01:53:35 UTC 2004

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 08:14:21AM +0800, John wrote:
>

>>If the lp module has the IRQ, it is not available to anything else. If
>>hotplug is allocating it, hotplug is broken.
>>

>hotplug doesn't allocate IRQs; the BIOS does.  The issue at hand is how to
>work around the poor decisions of the BIOS.

If lp is loaded, it should be using IRQ 7 or (I think) 5, depending on
which I/O port it's using.

As I've already stated, there are generally BIOS settings to workaround
software that can't cope with this, but I do not believe it's a BIOS
problem.

It _can_ arise if you install a conflicting ISA device, but ISA PnP and
expecially PCI should never conflict with this. That's why one of my
suggestions was to change the PnP OS setting. _I_ always have it turned
on for Linux, but while it works for the hardware I use it might not
work for others.