iMac network hardware

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Mon Sep 20 01:47:33 UTC 2004

[This was a private mail because it had a largish attachment; returning
to mailing list now.]

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 04:34:35PM -0400, Brett Kirksey wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> >If you could send me by private mail the full output of 'lspci' and
> >'lspci -n', and attach the file created by 'tar -czf device-tree.tar.gz
> >/proc/device-tree', I'll see if I can work out what's going on.
>
> I'm the one with the B&W G3 that also could not configure the network on
> install. I ran 'modprobe bmac' during the install. It accepted it, but
> after the first restart when it when it continues to do the install, it
> told me it couldn't find an internet connection.

OK, that was probably because the fact that that module was needed
wasn't saved across the reboot. That won't be a problem when the
autodetection is working properly.

> Here are the results of the commands you asked to be run (and the
> attached file). Let me know if you need anymore info or if I need to

In your /proc/device-tree, I see a bmac device, so that appears to be
the module you should be using.

The question remains why that wasn't found by the existing hardware
detection code. I notice one interesting difference between your
/proc/device-tree and mine, which I think is the cause. Would you be
willing to do one more installation to do an experiment for me? Here's a
script:

  * As soon as the "Choose a language" menu appears, press Command-F2
    (or whatever, as before) and activate the second console.

  * Run 'nano /bin/discover-mac-io'.

  * Go to line 16, which currently looks like this:

    for dir in $(find "$macio" -type d); do

  * Make it look like this instead, by adding a / after $macio:

    for dir in $(find "$macio/" -type d); do

  * Save (Ctrl-O) and exit (Ctrl-X), switch back to the first console,
    and continue the install. Your network card should now be
    autodetected without further hacking.

I've speculatively checked this change into Debian, since I think it's
the right approach. If you confirm that this works for you, I'll
backport it to Ubuntu.

Thanks,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]