logitech orbit/sphere usb webcam issues

Denis Jacquerye moyogo at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 17:26:36 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have a logitech orbit/sphere usb webcam. I have a couple of issues
with hotplug loading the modules required for the webcam.

Whenever the webcam is left plugged in on reboot/start up, the
webcam's usb microphone is the primary audio device, i.e. the first
one in the volume control and thus i have no /dev/dsp, etc...
It works fine if the webcam is unplugged when i boot, and them plug it in.

Gnomemeeting doesn't have the webcam in the list of available video
inputs. Does gnomemeeting use v4l or v4l2? When it test the gstreamer
video input, v4l works, I can see myself :) The usb audio works fine
with gnomemeeting.

I installed Camorama and the input works, expect for the fact that the
Medium size is really the Small with extra blank on the sides and
Large crashes camoram giving the error "Could not connect to video
device (/dev/video0). Please check connection."

Then, a program written to control the webcam can't make it span and
tilt anymore. The program is OrbitView
(http://cnslab.mb.jhu.edu/~derrick/OrbitView/). It use to work when I
didn't use hotplug on debian.

Denis