iMac install

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Sun Sep 19 13:51:25 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 03:32:59AM -0400, volvoguy wrote:
> I can't seem to get my iMac to boot the install disc at all. Is there
> some secret that I don't know about besides holding down "C" while
> booting?
>
> These are my system details:
>
> Rev.D 333Mhz Grape iMac
> 256Mb RAM
> 20Gb Seagate HDD
> Tray-load CDROM
>
> I don't have a burner in the iMac so I'm burning the disc on my PC
> with Nero. I thought an ISO file was an ISO file but maybe I'm wrong.
> I've tried with and without closing the disc when burning.

Have you checked the contents of the CD after burning it? I believe Nero
has been known to confuse people sometimes such that they end up burning
a CD containing an ISO9660 filesystem with the ISO as a single file,
rather than burning the ISO itself to the CD.

If you see subdirectories called 'dists' and 'pool' on the CD, then my
guess is wrong.

Also, of course, make sure it's the right architecture :-)

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]