Hal question

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at canonical.com
Sun Sep 19 11:00:33 UTC 2004

Hi Michiel!

On 2004-09-19 12:48 +0200, Michiel Sikkes wrote:
> A tiny little hal question here. Why is hal started with the '--drop-
> privileges' argument. This way people can't make use of the automatic
> fstab update script and other things like creating mountpoints.

Right. Since there is no question here, some explanation:

A big and complex piece of software like hal should not run as root,
so I modified the package to run as a normal user with some extra
capabilities. Also, we do not want to allow hal to mess up
configuration files, so we introduced a policy wrapper around "mount"
called pmount, which provides similar functionality.

Warty should handle USB and FireWire devices well, please report any
failures!

Thanks and have a nice Sunday!

Martin

--