Speed up DHCP during boot

Chris Edwards chris at chris-edwards.org
Sun Sep 19 08:57:41 UTC 2004

* Ingo Huber (dont.spam at web.de) wrote:
> I am running ubuntu on a laptop, that contains a pci lan card and, from
> time to time, wireless pcmcia.
>
> Both devices are recognized during boot, but dhcp connection tests waste
> a lot of time, if a device is not connected at all. If I am on wireless
> only, f.e., the boot dhcp procedure takes a bout 10 seconds to ask for
> ethernet dhcp, until it gives up. If I am on lan, and have'nt my
> wireless card plugged in, the same happens asking for the wlan's dhcp.
> Needless to say, there is never a need to have both connected. So
> booting takes it's time asking for dhcp.

ifplugd is probably what you're looking for. If you set that up, and
disable the automatic configuration of the network interfaces, then
it'll take care of it for you, only enabling them if it detects a link.
waproamd does the same sort of thing for wireless interfaces.

--
Chris Edwards <chris at chris-edwards.org>