Runlevel Configuration in g-s-t

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at canonical.com
Sun Sep 19 00:52:41 UTC 2004

<quote who="John">

> "no listening ports" is not the same thing as not installed. Postfix is
> installed but not listening to the outside.

Sure. The correct default for our desktop install is "not installed". But
it's there on the CD so you can get it immediately.

> 111/tcp open  rpcbind

portmap has to have an open port (necessary for fam), but it doesn't
actually accept any connections (thanks to tcpwrappers). This will not be
required in our next release, as we will be replacing fam.

> 68/udp  open  dhcpclient
> 111/udp open  rpcbind

dhcpclient listens (potentially temporarily, we're looking at that) to get
dhcp addresses from the server. Necessary.

- Jeff

--
Ooh, ooh, ooh!             http://www.ubuntulinux.org/               Ubuntu!