Initial impressions, questions, and bugs

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Sat Sep 18 19:33:57 UTC 2004

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 11:45:35AM -0700, Nathan Howell wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-18-09 at 01:02 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 12:05:30AM -0700, Nathan Howell wrote:
> > > - My first install was on a box with an onboard Broadcom 4401 NIC. It
> > > uses the b44 module. It wasn't detected during the install, but worked
> > > afterwards. (after I set up the interface)
> >
> > Please send lspci output; this should be easy to fix.
>
> Attached.

Hmm.  That card is in the discover1-data database, and the module is in
nic-extra-modules, so I would expect this to work.  Please file a bug
against the ddetect package.

> > s/assume/enforce that/, and yes.  pmount also supports labels; see the
> > man page.
>
> Why the enforcing? Seems like needless inflexibility to me.

pmount is a setuid root program, and it enforces strict limits on what it
will allow.  It is not intended to allow you to mount _any_ device, only
specific ones which are appropriate for a desktop scenario.

> > Interesting.  What make and model of mouse?  USB or PS/2?
>
> It's a Logitech MX700 USB. I've noticed a strange double click effect
> sometimes too. Particularly when clicking the Rhythmbox notification
> icon to show/hide the window, it will (not always though) hit it twice
> when I click once, negating what I meant to do.

If you have a different mouse to try, that would probably help to narrow
down the problem.

--
 - mdz