Dual booting on a Powerbook

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Sat Sep 18 11:45:17 UTC 2004

Dave Miller wrote:

> John wrote:
>
>> atm I have OS X on a 17" powerbook.
>>
>> Will d-i resize OS X; if not, how do I get Ubuntu onto it with losing
>> stuff?
>

> It don't think it knows how to resize HFS+ partitions...  I was two
> paranoid to try it anyway. :)  Back up all your data (Carbon Copy
> Cloner is a very good tool to do this with), and repartition the drive
> using Disk Utility (so it'll install all the Mac driver partitions on
> it and so forth), and just leave yourself enough free space for
> Ubuntu.  Then when you boot the Ubuntu CD, you can use that to create
> the Linux partitions in the free space you left from above.
>
> Firewire target disk mode really comes in handy for the backup/restore
> phase of the OS X portion if you happen to have another Mac around
> with enough space to hold the backup.  I also have an external
> Firewire hard drive I use for such things.
>
>> What (hardware) does not work?
>

> Mine is a Dual USB 500 MHz iBook.  I have yet to find anything not
> work (other than scanning for a list of available wireless networks).
> Note that I haven't attempted to use the modem though. :)

I have an external 40 Gb USB2 drive, currently formatted ext3 and
getting the latest Sarge and ubuntu.
 I don't have CCC, but I do have an rsyncX cd someplace that is supposed
to do bare-metal recovery.

I have Airport Extreme (Broadcom I suspect, but others might know
better), and Gigabit ethernet. If neither of those work, Ubuntu isn't
going to fly. Unless MacOnLinux can supply those.