ubuntu on mac users?

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Sat Sep 18 00:52:53 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 04:24:50PM -0400, Dave Miller wrote:
> I have Debian Sid (upon which Ubuntu is heavily based) running on a rev
> A Beige G3.  Once it's installed, it runs great, but you won't be able
> to install from the CD.  The Beige G3 won't boot a Linux CD (unlike the
> newer Macs), and it won't run a standard bootloader.

Right - at the moment, our installer doesn't support OldWorld PowerMacs,
and isn't likely to for the final release of Warty (since it's *very*
shaky even in Debian sarge).

> (The "Open Firmware" is what makes the difference -- the Beige G3 was
> the last machine before they started using Open Firmware).

I understand that OldWorld systems did use Open Firmware (lots of the
OldWorld tips-and-tricks web pages mention Open Firmware tweaks), but it
was often pretty buggy. The switch to NewWorld (PCI bus, etc.) included
quite a big cleanup there.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]