S-ATA, display refresh rate problems and some feedback

Fri Sep 17 11:22:28 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 23:52 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 08:37:15AM +0200, Daniel Borgmann wrote:
>
> > I'm using a S-ATA disk drive and a regular ATA CD ROM/Burner in combined
> > mode. When I tried installing Warty, it couldn't detect my CD ROM and
> > asked me to install the necessary driver from a floppy or selecting it
> > manually, which didn't help me. This happened both with my new CD Burner
> > and with my old CD ROM. When I changed my BIOS settings for S-ATA to
> > disabled, the CD ROM was happily found, so it must have something to do
> > with this. I ended up installing on some old P-ATA drive which worked
> > very well. Hopefully this problem can be eliminated for the final
> > release, please tell me if there is any other information which could be
> > useful to solve it. My relevant hardware is:
> > Abit IC7 motherboard with i875P chipset
> > Some Seagate Barracuda S-ATA disk drive
> > LG GCE-8525B CD Burner (but that one shouldn't matter)
>
> Please file a bug in bugzilla, with lspci output and dmesg output.

I assume that the S-ATA drive should be active when I run the lspci
command? Does it matter if I would run it from Ubuntu or another system?
And where should I run the dmesg command? Please excuse my ignorance. :)

> I am addicted to the clean desktop look and usefulness, myself. :-)
> Removing the desktop icons encourages you to explore the new paradigm, and I
> like it.

Seeing the blank desktop certainly was refreshing. :) But don't you
think that new users would benefit from a few obvious starting places,
especially to show them how the desktop paradigm is supposed to work? If
I could easily move them to the trash, I probably wouldn't be annoyed by
them, just like I'm not annoyed by default launchers on the panel, even
if they are usually not those which I want.