Setting the root password

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at canonical.com
Fri Sep 17 08:03:02 UTC 2004

Hi Wayne!

On 2004-09-17 18:02 +1000, Wayne Sheehan wrote:
> Hi list:
>
> I'm a Red Hat user of many years and have just installed Ubuntu.  Looks
> slick but I have just one question, how do you logon as root as nowhere
> during the install did I have the chance to set the root password!  I
> wish to configure/install tweak and generally play with the system, and
> get the Video card operational.  Have I missed something? :)

Yes, a FAQ :-)

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/faq/helpcenterfaq.2004-09-15.5722653677

In short: root password is disabled by default. The first created user
can use sudo to execute administrative tasks, the gnome system tools
ask for your password to change the system and if you need a shell,
just use "sudo su" (or the respective menu item Applications -> System
tools -> Root terminal).

Martin

--
Matin Pitt                        http://www.piware.de