A couple of questions - USB support and Quanta?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at canonical.com
Fri Sep 17 07:36:09 UTC 2004

Hi Kim!

On 2004-09-17  8:17 +0100, vexborg at blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
> 1. How is the USB support in Ubuntu? I have an external USB 2.0
> harddrive and a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 which normally is recognised
> as an external harddrive in Linspire. How would they be recognised
> in Ubuntu?

After you plug it in, it should be mounted automatically and a
Nautilus window pop up, showing the drive's content (unless you
disabled that in the Removable Devices configuration). The safe way to
unmount it again is to right-click on the device in the Computer
window and select "Unmount" (there will be an easier method in the
future). If it has a VFAT file system you can also just rip it out, it
will be unmounted automatically. But this is a bit dangerous, since
there might be applications that still use the drive.

> 2. Is it possible to install Quanta in Ubuntu, and if so, can you
> point to me some ressources/repositories?

Should be. Just enable the "universe" package branch in
/etc/apt/sources.list (there is already a commented example, but just
appending "universe" to the existing lines should be fine).

Have a nice day!

Martin

--
Matin Pitt                        http://www.piware.de