No sound, First install, VIA VT8233 motherboard

Benoit Caron benoit at notezbien.net
Sat Oct 30 01:14:41 UTC 2004

Julius wrote:
> I also have a VIA chipset with an onboard soundcard, and had problems.
>
> Somehow, the soundcard, when enabled in BIOS, enters in conflict with
> ACPI or something like that, and I'm not able to shutdown/reboot while
> in Windows. I can shutdown in linux, but if I reboot from linux the
> sound card will be disabled in the next boot.
>
> Anyway, try playing with the soundcard IRQs, it solved the problem for
> me because sound wasnt working properly for me.

First, try something even simpler: double-check that the sound is ON.
Use xalsamixer (is it the right name?) or any mixer for the ALSA sound
system and make sure that the various sound source have sensible values.
I once had a lot of trouble having sound to work with that chipset on
I-don't-remember-which debian-derivated distro, and the problem was
simply this: everything showed all-right (and from the loaded modules
liste, it seems to be the case for you).

Disapointingly simple solution... ;)