modules and configuration

Jonathan Hudson jh+ubuntu at daria.co.uk
Sun Oct 31 10:38:12 UTC 2004

Senectus . wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:09:22 +0000, Alistair Ross <ajross at xbolt.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Open a terminal up,
>>
>>sudo gedit /etc/modules.conf
>>
>>add the text to the file that the website you link to specifies.
>>
>>Save the file, reboot or re-init your system and the module will have
>>loaded on startup.
>>

> Thank you for that, but I'd like to ask something for better understanding.
> It's been my experience that when a config file says ***Do not edit
> this file*** It's because that file is generated by a system process,
> thus any changes made will be wiped next time its run, is that not the
> case here?

That is the case. Add your own file under /etc/modprobe.d/ and that will
be incorporated into /etc/modules.conf at startup. e.g. here I have a
box (kanga) with a ancient sound card.

/etc/modprobe.d/kanga: (inter alia)

options snd major=116 cards_limit=1
options snd-sb16 csp=0 port=0x220 irq=5 dma8=1 dma16=5 isapnp=0
mpu_port=0x330
options sb io=0x220, irq=5, dma=1, dma16=5

Create your own file with the remove in it. See modprobe.conf for syntax.

-jonathan