modules and configuration

emperor ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sun Oct 31 02:30:18 UTC 2004

Brian Barr Wrote:
> I have two questions
>
> In general: Is there a good location that describes how modules get
> loaded at boot, and how to configure which get loaded when?
>
> I see there are several locations that "work" on modules and the
> ordering and importance of each is lost on me. Locations such as:
> /etc/hotplug
> /etc/modules.conf
> /etc/modprobe.d
> /etc/modutils
>
> all seem very intertwined.  If I understood the process I could work
> out a solution to my next question...

1. Ubuntu uses "modules.conf" for module option settings only!
"modules.conf" Is created from the files in "the /etc/modutils"
directory when you run "update modules". So do not edit the
"modules.conf" file directly.

2. Modules are loaded automaticly by the kernel, so you shouls not
need to do this manually.

3. How to disable the on-board sound!
The on-board can be disabled in the BIOS of your computer. If the
on-board sound is disabled in your BIOS settings, the kernel will NOT
load the module for the hardware.

Modpro

--
emperor