2 things I'm playing around with

Bryan Pizzuti bpizzuti at optonline.net
Sat Oct 30 17:55:45 UTC 2004

Thing #1:  As everyone knows already, the 2.6.9 kernel sources are out
there.  I'm compiling one that's specifically PentiumM/Centrino oriented,
since it's now got built in software suspend (and also, the CPU optimization
section lits it seperately from the P4 series).  Basically I'm going to
laptop-optimize it as much as I can figure out how to do: leave out a lot of
the WAN and SCSI device junk that a notebook PC will never use, compile in
Pentium M, all the Intel drivers for the chipsets rather than use modules,
and software suspend. When I get my laptop in and have fully tested it, I'll
be happy to provide the .config file to anyone who wants it, and if I can
manage, I'll roll a .deb file. This looks like the comparitively easy one.

Thing #2 (This is the hard one):  I'm trying to figure out how to add a menu
selection in the current GDM for software suspend. This is a VERY stupid
thing for me to try to do, since I have little experience in C and suck at
programming in general anyway. But, if I can figure out where in the code to
put it, it doesn't seem TOO difficult from looking at the modules for the
other shutdown commands. However, getting beyond that (such as adding an
option in the configuration program to enable it, and a check to make sure
support is there, is likely beyond me). Any help or advice (including
"Siddown and shaddap because it's being worked on anyway!") might be useful.
;) I also thought adding buttons along the bottom for shutdown, reboot, and
software suspend might be nice, but I'm nowhere NEAR that point yet.

Incidentally, I'm SUCH a nut, since my Thinkpad hasn't even shipped yet, so
I can't test any of this yet, but at least I can do some of it ahead of time
on my VMWare install of Ubuntu.