a linux ready for simple users ? (Re: issues with warty final

Michel Klijmij michel+spam at klijmij.net
Fri Oct 29 15:23:45 UTC 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:48:44 -0400, volvoguy <volvoguy at gmail.com> wrote in
<acf3da300410281348742a8b17 at mail.gmail.com>:

> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:14:41 +0200, Michel Klijmij
> <michel+spam at klijmij.net> wrote:
>
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Rhythmbox played MP3s without me
>> having to install anything extra or do anything.
>
> Hey Michel. We may need one of the devs to confirm this, but I could
> swear that the pre-releases of Warty had MP3 working by default.

I have the same feeling as you, and found this:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/4389
(on 8 october)
"The mp3 codec was recently removed because of patent issues, we cannot
install it by default any more."

Which suggests that it was there before, and I started using Ubuntu
around 2 weeks before that message.

--
Kind regards,   | Jabber : michel at jabber.xs4all.nl (MSN/ICQ in headers)
Michel Klijmij  | E-mail : michel at klijmij.net