ATI Radeon configuration

Edgars Smits edgars.s at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 29 12:57:29 UTC 2004

I've got a Dell D600 with an ATI Radeon 9000 vid card. Following the
instructions on ubuntu.com I installed the required fglrx drivers, and
if I run fglrxinfo I get:

> esmits at ca-esmits:~ $ fglrxinfo
> display: :0.0  screen: 0
> OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
> OpenGL renderer string: MOBILITY RADEON 9000 DDR Generic
> OpenGL version string: 1.3.4510 (X4.3.0-3.12.0)

so it looks like it's working. I also installed the fglrx-control stuff,
yet when I run it and set it to use dual heads it always defaults to
clone mode.

I tried to configure fglrx the old way that I used before this, running
fglrxconfig, that resulted in a dead GDM session.

Any ideas?

ED
PS: have been using Mandrake for over a year, tried Ubuntu yesterday, so
far it's quite good