Problems with GRUB? (Re: I think we DESPERATLY need a grub/winXP newbie HowTo)

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Thu Oct 28 20:18:12 UTC 2004

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> Installation problems of this type are not documentation issues; they are
> bugs which need to be fixed.  What we need are people experienced with
> bootloader issues who can help to debug these problems, because Ubuntu
> developers are not able to reproduce them.

this is what Room101 is meant to cover work arounds that really
shouldn't exist (hence the worst thing in the world) that will disapeer
as bugs are quashed and users can be directed to apt-get (plus graphical
methods) the fixed packages and the real fix.

We certainly shouldn't be documenting how to fix bugs.  The dev's are
smashing these at a rate of knots already ;-)

It would probably be a waste of time to write a how-to on an issue that
is really a fixable bug.  the man hours are better spent fixing the bug
than documenting workarounds.  Just quick and dirty fixes should go here
and they certainly shouldn't be hanging around for long if everyone else
is working at the rate they are now ;-)

Perhaps this will also direct people able to reproduce the error with
the knowledge to help the dev team with testing.

> This is all intended to Just Work.  Here are the only valid bug reports I am
> aware of which seem relevant:

just to say you guys are doing and excellent job with the maintainance
of Warty at the same time as bringing in all the debian stuff to start
Hoary, kudos to the developers for this I'm not sure where you are
finding time to sleep ;-)

sparkes
--
<davee> "Sparkes, the Pete Best of LugRadio"