Partitioning

Mike Finn mikefinn at slingshot.co.nz
Thu Oct 28 08:47:29 UTC 2004

Ah gidday...

I am a new person to the Linux world, in fact totally Linux challenged.
I am starting at square one. Reading Wikis, docs and newsgroups which
are somewhat lacking in the REAL basic stuff.... I have tried Ubuntu
Live CD, Knoppix Live Cd, Morphix Live CD and Beatrix live CD. Ubuntu is
my choice. I am awaiting the install CD and wish to prepare my computer
for this momentous event.

My question (first) is how should one set-up the partitions for
installing Ubuntu. I have a laptop with Windows XP sp2, 2.4ghz intel
mobile cpu, 1gig ram, 32mb vid card, 30gb harddrive with 12.5 gig free.
The live CD works well except for the printer (Epson 2100/2200) and
scanner (Canon Lide 30) and connect to the net via adsl router. I also
have partition magic 8.05

1: Should the Linux partition be before the existing partition or after?
2: Should there be just one partion ready for Ubuntu or should I create
the boot and swap as well?
3: Partition Magic comes with "BootMagic"... Is this the best way for
dual booting?

There will be more :-)

Mike