a linux ready for simple users ? (Re: issues with warty final

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 14:40:07 UTC 2004

Hi Philippe and Steven!

I consider myself an "intermediate" Linux user - I've been using it as
an "end user" for more than six years, and I've been using Ubuntu
since the preview release came out. With the local friends I help, I
seem to be a good intermediary between developers (the geeks) and
newbies (the non-geeks). :-)

While I definitely can't answer all the questions that the experts
can, I try to answer as many as possible - even if it's just
rephrasing a complicated answer that the experts give.

I've been off work for over a year with some medical problems. In that
time, I think I've tried just about every distro available that uses
the English language (yes, I buy blank cd's in spools of 100! :-). I
can definitely say that Ubuntu is the best distro around for new Linux
users. In my experience, this is also the best Linux community that
I've ever been involved with.

Now that I've said all that, I'll mention that there ARE a few things
that no Linux distro can easily do - the things that involve non-free
software. I think most of the issues in that category would make
Ubuntu non-free also - which isn't a good thing for the open-source
community. (I think there's only one distro that legally includes a
DVD player - and that distro isn't free.)

>From my experience, these are the things that a new Linux user should expect:

1. Because of the nature of the software licenses involved, there will
always be some extra work to get ALL of the functionality of a
commercial operating system. (things like DVD, Flash, Java, Quicktime,
etc)

2. If you have a problem, and there is a solution to your problem, you
will be able to get help. (this specifically applies to Ubuntu and
their mailing lists and IRC channels)

3. You MIGHT have to learn something. :-)

In the long run, I think the end results are positive and acceptible
to most people. IMHO, the pros far outweigh the cons. To get a basic
feel for things, play with the LiveCD and ask questions (and
understand it's limitations - like not being able to install software
or make permanent changes). If you like the LiveCD and you discover
that most of your issues can be solved by using the installable
version - do that, and ask questions. If there are STILL major issues,
wait a few months and see what the excellent Ubuntu developers come up
with! :-) Things seem to mature quickly with Linux - and this has been
especially true in the last 6-12 months.

I hope that helps a little!

Aaron