ICMP 8 OPEN

Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN Delbert.Hudson at LOSANGELES.AF.MIL
Wed Oct 27 14:23:50 UTC 2004

	to :listsysop, gurus and other s.a. types,,

	i've posted in the past in regards to the number of queries i've
seen on this list
	in regards to some of the security items. i think this points out
that some of migration
	from winBlowzMe clients to open source platforms seems to really be
occurring.
	a large portion of this migratory community appear not to have the
most basic unix
	netsec. is there an ubuntu-howto-lockdown in progress. i am never
convinced the any
	OS vendor, maybe other than OpenBSD is CLOSE to being secure out of
the box.

	i want to see whats under the hood. also questions such as this
could be directed to
	a platform specific (ubuntu) methodology without sending the newbs
out to SAGE or
	SANS. i dont want to re-produce the dangerous WinDOZe security
syndrome of set it and
	forget it.

	we need to impart right security mindset so we dont get inaccuracy
propagated.
	.i.e. - 	the reference to the icmp packet detected is not an
error, it is an event
			that happens based on either a known security
policy.
			i see no explanation regarding this so that the user
does not
			continue to consider this an error.

	ubuntu-user-security would be a good name.
	this client can connectto a network. that makes it a target either
now or later.

	it seems to have been swept under the rug.

	ubuntu is an excellent distro andithink it would be helpful.

	v/r,
	~piranha