Dutch Ubuntu community

Dennis Kaarsemaker dennis at kaarsemaker.net
Tue Oct 26 18:20:31 UTC 2004

Hallo Louise McCance-Price,

Op dinsdag 26 oktober 2004 17:05:40 schreef je:

> Hi Dennis

> Thanks for your email.

> Ubuntu is our trademark and we want to maintain some control over it.
> However, we also want to allow efforts such as yours to flourish and
> international communities to grow.

...which is exactly why I have asked for your approval :)

> I propose that you register the domain in the name of Canonical
> Limited.   One Circular Road, Douglas, Isle of Man, IM1 1AF
> We will gladly reimburse you the cost of registering the domain.

Unfortunately,  registering  in  your  name is not possible due to the
registration  rules  here in Holland. You can only register a .nl name
when   you  are  a  dutch  company  (and  provide  a  so  called  KvK
registration) or a dutch citizen and provide a copy of your passport.

> The IP addresses for the registration can be configured as you like, and
> you are free to set up and continue to maintain the site as you and the
> Dutch-speaking Ubuntu community wish.

> We do plan to have a multi-lingual main website in the future, so at
> some point we may want to look into merging the websites, but for now we
> are happy for you to continue this site and get the community involved.
> We think it's great and will help you in any way we can.

And I will help back by translating as much as possible.

> Is the proposal to register the domain registration to us acceptable? If
> so, please let me know the best way to reimburse you.

The proposal is fine to me, but not to the dutch rules. I will however
register  the domain name and start the community, but you will always
have  the  right  to  place  certain  demands  on it. You already have
reimbursed  me by providing such an excellent distribution, so that is
not a problem.

Of  course,  if  the  dutch  rules  are  relaxed,  I  will  change the
registration to make the domain name fully yours.
--
Dennis K.
  And that's the way the cookie crumbles