SU root how

Stephen Ward s.ward at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Oct 26 05:39:14 UTC 2004

John Pawlicki wrote:

>I tried the rc1 and now am downloading warty - the problem I had with the rc1
>is no su. How do I get get normal root privileges?
>
>John

This is a feature to enhance security and simplicity (and make fewer
questions at install).  The first user added (the one added at install)
is a 'sudoer' (can use the sudo command - to add sudoers use the visudo
command).  When you use sudo it will often (when you haven't
authenticated for a while) ask for YOUR password.

If you need to act as root use sudo eg:
user at host$ sudo whoami
   root
user at host$

If you need to do several things as root you can become root:
user at host$ sudo su
root at host$ whoami
    root
root at host$

if you need the root account simply enable it by setting a root password
user at host$ sudo passwd
    Enter new UNIX password:
    Retype new UNIX password:
user at host$ su
root at host$ whoami
    root
root at host$

If you need to disable the root account you can edit /etc/shadow and
replace the hashes for root with an *

Regards
Stephen Ward
IT Technician