Fails to find USB controller on RC1

Mark Eggleston mark_r_eggleston at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 15 21:07:05 UTC 2004

Greetings,

I have a speedtouch 330 usb asdl modem. I've built
from source code speedtouch-1.3-1 which I've using
successfully on SuSE 8.2 and Mandrake 9.2 as it was
easier than using pre-built packages.

Starting the adsl connection fails. The following
reported by speedtouch-doctor.sh:

You are using linux kernel version 2.6.8.1-3-386
Support for USB is OK
Preliminary USB device filesystem is OK
You don't have /proc/pci. I cannot check for a UHCI
controller
You don't have /proc/pci. I cannot check for a OHCI
controller
I found no USB controller

Suspicious of the missing /proc/pci I installed
Mandrake 10.1 community on a spare partition as it
also has a 2.6 kernel. The adsl connection fails on
Mandrake as well: the output from speedtouch-doctor.sh
is the same except for kernel 2.6.8.1-10 and it
doesn't complain about /proc/pci.

The mainboard is VIA GA-6VX7B-4X.

I have some other problems with RC1 which I'll post
separately.

This is first distribution that I've been compelled to
report problems rather than ditching it for an other!

I'm impressed so far and I'm looking forward to the
final release.

Regards,
Mark