Ubuntu fails during install on VMWare 4 (linux Client)

alan at comm-tech alan at communitytechnology.org.uk
Wed Oct 20 03:26:43 UTC 2004

Greetings All,

I have been trying regularly to get a daily warty iso installed on
VMWare 4.05 (Redhat Host). Every time the installer fails with this
message:
Base system installation error
The debootstrap program exited with an error (return value 1)
Check messages or console 3 for details

I then wind up back at installer with no way of installing base system.

Excerpted messages looks like:

*Thing maybe start going wrong here:
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-3-386/kernel/drivers/net/pcnet32.ko
No matching phusical volumes found
No volume groups found
*Then actual failure appears to begin at this line:
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/base-files_3.0.16ubuntu6_i386.deb (--install):
*base-passwd_3.5.7_i386 also fails like this, and the very final line
is:
ln: /target/usr/bin/awk: File exists

Dmesg appears normal, EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal...

I am fairly certain my ISO is OK, as I have installed other systems with
CDs burned off it, and all versions to now have failed at the same
place.

Does anyone else have experience installing Ubuntu with VMWare, or any
pointers ?

Alan