Minor Gnome annoyances

Ecmel Ercan ecmel at ercansoy.com
Mon Oct 25 15:37:52 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've been using Ubuntu since the release and I admit it is a very
nice distro, so thanks to everyone involved. I was dreaming of a Gnome
only, one cd distro for a long time.

I just want to share some Gnome annoyances:

1. Startup notification is problematic especially with gksudo (Root
Terminal, Synaptic etc). The app starts but cursor does not change to
normal and the notification does not go away for a while.

2. Logout is problematic on my system. Sometimes the logout does not do
anything for 2-3 minutes then the logout dialog just pops, sometimes X
dies and sometimes can not log in back. (Says a panel is already running)

3. The inbox monitor has awful icons :) and does not provide a secure
means of login.

4. Not direct gnome but X Screen saver password dialog is ultra awful :)
(I heard this is the decision of the developer).

5. No ppp dialup tool included (e.g. gnome-ppp). I know Network tool but
it needs sudo and not practical for dialup usage.

Regards
Ecmel