Adding a route?

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 03:20:23 UTC 2004

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:01:43 -0700, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 07:51:45AM +0800, Senectus . wrote:
>
> > I use my laptop at work and when there I like to add a different route
> > into my windows environment, How do I do this in Ubuntu?
> >
> > and example.. the route I add for work in widows is:
> > route add 0.0.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1 metric 10 /p
> >                 ^Dest           ^netmask       ^gateway             ^permanent
> >
> > How do I do that in linux?
>
> That's a very odd-looking route.  Perhaps Windows ignores the netmask when
> the address is 0.0.0.0.  Anyway, it looks like you're trying to add a
> default route:
>
> sudo ip route add default via 10.0.0.1 metric 10

Ok that "works" (as in no error) but its not sending me out the
gateway of my choice..
I've tried to read the info page on it and it mentions I should be
using "gw" to set the gateway.. But when I try that, it basically says
my syntax is wrong.. whats the proper format for doing that?

--
Nothing dies faster than a new idea in a closed mind.