Apt-get versus aptitude versus synaptic

R S Gill rsgill at purdue.edu
Sun Oct 24 23:01:14 UTC 2004

"IIRC does apt-get also remove dependencies. Sometimes some libraries
are

> left. If you have such orphans 'deborphan' is what you want to detect
> and 'apt-get remove' to get rid of them."

That might be great but why use deborphan and then apt-get remove when
aptitude does everything for you automagically?

Gill

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 00:48 +0200, Jens W. Klein wrote:

> R S Gill wrote:
> > Aptitude is a far better program I think. This is because when you
> > uninstall something with aptitude, it actually removes all the
> > dependencies that were installed with the program.  Apt-get and synaptic
> > do not do this. So if you try out software on  regular basis, you run
> > the risk of having a lot of cruft build up in your system
>
> IIRC does apt-get also remove dependencies. Sometimes some libraries are
> left. If you have such orphans 'deborphan' is what you want to detect
> and 'apt-get remove' to get rid of them.
>
> Jensens
> --
> jens quadrat - agentur für informationsmanagement         eduplone EEIG
> Klein & Partner KEG (Austria)                        co-founding member
>
> http://jensquadrat.com                              http://eduplone.net

"From time to time, the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood
of tyrants and patriots." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time
that men have died to win them" -- FDR

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
stand ready to do violence on their behalf" -- George Orwell