new Apple iBook experience

Jonathan Hudson jh+ubuntu at daria.co.uk
Sun Oct 24 18:45:28 UTC 2004

Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 11:25:21PM -0400, volvoguy said

> enabling DRI.  Suspend-to-ram does not work at all[0], but "pmdisk" (kernel
> suspend to disk) should work fine (at least other people say so, no luck
> for me last time I tried); note this is not currently available in
> default Ubuntu kernels.
>
> -rob
>
> [0]: there is hope:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2004/10/msg00049.html

On my 18 month old G4 Powerbook, which until Friday (the "break my
gentoo day") was running Gentoo, but is now running Ubuntu, my
experience has been:

* With X.org (gentoo), suspend / resume worked every time.

* With XFree86 (Ubuntu) and earlier Gentoo
	- 1/3 of the time the machine locks up hard;
  	- 1/3 of the time, it fails to suspend;
	- 1/3 of the it works.

Looking forword to Ubuntu going X.org.