I don't want to beat this to death, but...

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 11:14:08 UTC 2004

> I havn't come across anything bad with 1.0, in fact I've found it much
> better than the previous versions.
> One solution is to download firefox from the mozilla.org website and
> uninstall the mozilla-firefox package then install what you downloaded
> somewhere, I'd say in your home dir if you're the only user of the
> machine, keeps the permissions stuff simple*grin* and then ln -s
> /where-ever/firefox/firefox
>  /usr/bin/firefox

Have done that, with symlink in /usr/bin from /usr/local/bin/firefox
and everything seems to be working, for all seven users.  Then I tried
to use apt-get to uninstall the other version and it says it'll have
to also uninstall a trivial little packaged called ubuntu-desktop...
Um, better not. I guess I'll just have to redo the symlink every time
the backport gets updated. That's not a huge problem because it
probably means there was a security issue fixed and I'll have to
update the /usr/local/bin version as well.

The latest version of firefox is definitely rock solid for me and
absolutely crucial because what was fixed between 0.9.3 and the
preview release is compatibility with my bank's web site. This would
be a show stopper for me, forcing me back to Fedora Core 3
(test-whatever) and all the bleeding edge headaches. ("Sorry kids, you
can't use the Linux pc upstairs for a while. Daddy's gotta fix it...")