Change to bash behaviour

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 03:21:32 UTC 2004

> > Put an alias for rm in your .bashrc in your home directory.
> >
> > alias rm='rm -i'
>
> The main reason Debian and Ubuntu don't do this by default, by the way,
> is that it trains bad habits: firstly, if a prompt always appears then
> you tend to get overly used to it and answer it without thinking anyway
> (the Windows "OK?" problem), and secondly, it carries the awful risk
> that as soon as you use a different Unix system that doesn't have these
> aliases you'll find yourself removing files by accident because you were
> expecting to have the non-default-behaviour prompt as a safety net.

or you make sure that at the momemt you start working on a new
machine, you are using your default setup that includes it :)

In my case,  rm -i was added to a newby setup by a sysadmin when I
started as a student in an university group 10+ years ago, and I have
been carrying it around on countless unix/linux systems ever since.
Maybe it is a safety net, but got used to having it than not having it
around, and it's tough to retrain an old dog...

Another of  my other favourite alias  that I kjeep carrying around is
"alias h='history'"