Modem woes. Intel 536EP.

Bryan Pizzuti bpizzuti at optonline.net
Sat Oct 23 18:22:39 UTC 2004

Not so horrible at all: it's a wonderful thing. :D  Go to Intel's website.
They povide Linux drivers for their softmodems. :)

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=39&strT
ypes=DRV&ProductID=977&OSFullName=Linux*&submit=Go%21

They're in RPM format, but you can either use the Alien command on the RPMs
(Probably the Mandrake 10 or SUSE 9.1 ones would work) or just compile it
from source, which Intel also provides. Haven't tried it myself, since I
stopped using modems a long time ago on my own machines, but I swear by
Intel-based modems...mostly because they provide Linux drivers. ;)

As far as your Lucent goes...don't know what to tell you yet, since I don't
know which laptop you've got..I know IBM provided Lucent winmodem drivers
for their MiniPCI modems in some of their Thinkpads, and there's some other
Lucent-compatible winmodem drivers for Linux scattered around...