Post installation questions.

Gnd. ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sat Oct 23 17:40:52 UTC 2004

First, id like to say that ubuntu looks really great, being based on
debian with more up to date packages and a focus on 'it just works' is
a definitely a good plan. I have been using linux for years, but have
never stuck with one distribution for a daily use machine - Id really
like to stick with ubuntu though. The problems have always been with
the desktop setups, they work nicely until you need to change a
configuration or install some bit of hard/software that the
distribution didnt include. Once you have start setting things up by
hand then you end up with a system that only works for you - if you
want to upgrade things in the desktop/distribution then it becomes
messy.
So, some of the questions Im asking here I know how to solve linux
generally, but I want to know how to solve them in ubuntu so that I am
not left with a 'personalised' version that will not play happily when
the next release is due. I also realise that these may be more to do
with gnome than ubuntu, but i havent had much experience with gnome
either :)

(the system i am using is a compaq m300 laptop - p3 600/320mb/ati
rage/eepro100/dual boot with 2000 on fat32. Installation worked fine:
sound, X, wired network, usb were all there on first boot)

1. Mounting fat32 partitions. I know how to do this through /etc/fstab
no problem,is this the only/best way to it in ubuntu?

2. Power management. Im using a laptop,so I want suspend&resume,
hibernate and speedstep to work nicely. I have no idea where to start
on this

3. PCMCIA wireless. I have a 3com xjack that id like to use, it uses an
atmel chipset and is supported in the kernel according to the wiki. I
havent got any further with it though as it doesnt seem to show up
anywhere - even in dmesg..

4. Video playback. Totem seems to have an error with every video file I
try - is it better to just bin it and go with mplayer?

5. Firefox. Im just getting used to it after using opera for ages - its
a bit slow but not too bad at all. What is the clean way to upgrade to
1.0?

If anyone can point me in the right directions for any of these Id be
really greatful, thanks in advance.

--
Gnd.