Shutdown hangs at: "ACPI_power_off_called".

Darren Critchley darrenc at telus.net
Sat Oct 23 16:02:11 UTC 2004

Bill Stoye wrote:

>This stream has withered on the vine as I've been waiting for the full
>Ubuntu release, in hopes something about this shutdown annoyance was
>corrected there; I have done the following after the release, besides
>the daily upgrades leading to it:
>"sudo apt-get install ubuntu-base ubuntu-desktop"
>"sudo apt-get install linux-k7"
>
>I have tried the following parameters in Grub at bootup: "noapic",
>"pci=noacpi", "acpi=off", "acpi=force" and "nolapic"; I have been
>viewing and trying to follow any email that sounded like it pertained to
>this shutdown problem; Shutdown still hangs at "acpi power off called"
>
>Motherboard: SOYO; SY-KT600 DRAGON ULTRA PLTN
>Processor: AMD Athlon XP 3200
>
>The problem started after install "nvidia" driver and continues. It's an
>annoyance for an otherwise great distribution and have hopes to correct
>it without doing another installation, however simple.
>
>I was looking for a simpler system than the Libranet that I was using;
>Libranet is excellent as well, just more than I needed and I was looking
>towards using the support of the 2.6 kernel.
>
>I don't have the ability to troubleshoot this on my own but I am
>comfortable with a text editor and terminal.

It may be your motherboard, I have sveral Soyo SY-K7VEMPRO and I have
tried them with lots of different distros, and while it is an excellent
windows board, it is a poor player in the Linux arena. I had to do a
bios upgrade just to get them stable enough to run Linux and at that, if
you put anything faster than 1Gig, you are back to having kernel panics.
The video on this particular model was really bad as well, often having
weird lines, etc in the screen. I have tried Redhat 7,8,9, Fedora Core
1, Suse, Xandros, Lycoris and Libranet on them.

I would recommend reading any FAQ's etc at Soyo's site, perhaps consider
upgrading the bios as well.
After our experiences with the above mentioned board, we decided not to
purchase any more Soyo boards at our company.

Darren