Parted backport doesn't work for all? (WAS: Ubuntu killed my HD??)

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 16:56:27 UTC 2004

> If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I really
> want to install Ubuntu but I have to be able to dual boot.

Is is right to the assume that this bug generated by a problem in
Parted is only triggered by the installer when working on the
partitions?

If it is the case, then one option would be to install Ubuntu without
using the installer.  If you have a linux already working on the
machine, then it is possible via a debootstrap on an already defined
partition.  It's not user friendly at all,  but is possible (I have
done it on one machine, using the instruction in the Sarge's
installation manual)