Broken dependencies in universe

Ryan Thiessen ryanthiessen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 07:42:29 UTC 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:31:12 -0700, Daniel Robitaille
<robitaille at gmail.com> wrote:
> my understanding is that universe is done more or less without human
> intervention.  So something could easily be broken, and nobody would really
> notice, unless they try to install it.  That's the sad reality of
> trying to use the non-supported universe in Ubuntu.
>
> Some hints of what's broken or missing could possibly be found in the build
> logs:  http://people.ubuntu.com/~lamont/buildLogs/
> But I can't seem to find anything about php4-common in there.

My question here is more about the rationale of having broken packages
in Ubuntu's universe, I posted my technical question in another
thread.  Sorry for the confusion.  php4-common is not broken, it is
simply missing from the database due (I'm guessing) to a different
build process that Ubuntu used vs. the one the Debian Sid uses.  The
problem is that with a missing php4-common there are a few
server-oriented packages out there that will be broken but still
listed in universe.

Cheers,
-Ryan Thiessen-