Ubuntu killed my HD??

Andr'e Kuntze vision.mail at gmx.net
Fri Oct 22 06:43:48 UTC 2004

Hi there,

yesterday i started to set up a Dual Boot system on a desktop system
(Before you ask "What are you dualbooting for?": Need Windows for
developing for work and have to share the system with other people, who
don't want to use Linux).

First i installed a Windows XP Home Edition. After restarting about a
million times i had a running system. Than i installed Ubuntu and this
worked like a charm.

Grub was installed in the MBR. After my gdm greeted me i really felt
home (Thanks again for making such a great distro!!).

But than it happened. I tried to start Windows XP. The system froze. I
booted from the Windows XP system and called "fixboot" and "fixmbr".
That gave the message "operating system not found" on boot.

So i tried to format my whole system again and to install Windows. After
installing and rebooting *sigh* it still gave me the error... Strange
thingy.

I borrowed a Windows 2000 for try out purposes. Still the same error (i
formatted the whole system!!).

When i install Ubuntu again it still works like a charm. This way i
think it is no hardware issue.

I tried Windows XP again and it won't boot -- same error.

Any ideas?? My system is a Athlon XP 2,4 GHz with 120 GB HD and a Radeon
9700 Pro.

Right now i think it is a problem with the MBR. Is there a tool to
really delete it? Using "fixboot" and "fixmbr" doesn't seem to work..

Please help. I really need a Windows on this system...

Greetings
André