compiling pearpc

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 05:12:29 UTC 2004

I haven't tried PearPC in a while and decided it was time to play
again. (Yes. I bought OSX, but it's currently not installed on my
Ubuntu-powered iMac!) I've compiled and had it running on a couple
different distros, but I'm running into some problems with Ubuntu.
(Which is how I'm justifying this as on topic) :)

Of course I had to install the  "build-essential" metapackage. No
problems there. Then I try to run the configure script as instructed
in the PearPC documentation:

./configure --enable-cpu=jitc_x86

Things start chugging along, until it runs into this error:

checking for X... no
checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... no
configure: error: Could not find XOpenDisplay in -lX11.

Now, I'm USING X - so I'm pretty sure it's there. :) Could this mean
that Ubuntu has it installed somewhere unexpected? I also couldn't
find any trace of "XOpenDisplay" in Synaptic (with universe enabled) -
I tried searching by name, by name and description, and by provided
packages.

I know this is WAY beyond the bounds of being supported, but I thought
the error message may look familiar to someone more experienced than
myself. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

--
Aaron